Please use a minimum of three unique search words
Our search is configured to only display links relevant to answer your question. For the best results please use specific and relevant keywords that accurately reflect the information you are seeking.
Please do not use this field to report adverse events or product complaints. Adverse events and product complaints should be reported. Reporting forms and information can be found at UK: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard or search for MHRA Yellow Card in the Google Play or Apple App Store. Adverse events and product complaints should also be reported to Lilly: please call Lilly UK on 01256 315 000.
Forsteo ® (teriparatide)
This information is intended for UK registered healthcare professionals only as a scientific exchange in response to your search for information.For current prescribing information for all Lilly products, including Summaries of Product Characteristics, Patient Information Leaflets and Instructions for Use, please visit: www.medicines.org.uk (England, Scotland, Wales) or www.emcmedicines.com/en-GB/northernireland/ (Northern Ireland).
Forsteo® (teriparatide): Abrupt discontinuation
Safety concerns associated with temporary interruption or abrupt discontinuation of teriparatide therapy have not been identified.
Lilly has not identified any safety concerns, including adverse reactions or side effects, associated with temporary interruption or withdrawal of teriparatide therapy during our clinical studies or follow-up analyses.1-6
The recommended treatment time is 24 months.7
1. Neer RM, Arnaud CD, Zanchetta JR, et al. Effect of parathyroid hormone (1-34) on fractures and bone mineral density in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med. 2001;344(19):1434-1441. http://dx.doi.org/10.1056/nejm200105103441904
2. Orwoll ES, Scheele WH, Paul S, et al. The effect of teriparatide [human parathyroid hormone (1-34)] therapy on bone density in men with osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res. 2003;18(1):9-17. http://dx.doi.org/10.1359/jbmr.2003.18.1.9
3. Lindsay R, Scheele WH, Neer R, et al. Sustained vertebral fracture risk reduction after withdrawal of teriparatide in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. Arch Intern Med. 2004;164(18):2024-2030. http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/archinte.164.18.2024
4. Saag KG, Shane E, Boonen S, et al. Teriparatide or alendronate in glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis. N Engl J Med. 2007;357(20):2028-2039. http://dx.doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa071408
5. Silverman S, Miller P, Sebba A, et al. The direct assessment of nonvertebral fractures in community experience (DANCE) study: 2-year nonvertebral fragility fracture results. Osteoporos Int. 2013;24(8):2309-2317. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00198-013-2284-y
6. Saag KG, Zanchetta JR, Devogelaer JP, et al. Effects of teriparatide versus alendronate for treating glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis: thirty-six-month results of a randomized, double-blind, controlled trial. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;60(11):3346-3355. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/art.24879
Lilly = Eli Lilly and Company
Date of Last Review: 11 November 2019